Career advice – Covering Letters
A covering letter offers you a direct opportunity to introduce yourself to the recruiters. A good covering letter includes branding and selling yourself to make you stand out from the crowd of applications and obtain an interview chance. Therefore it is important to send a Covering letter together with the resume (CV) when applying for jobs.
There are several elements to be included in the covering letter.
- Your full Contact information.
- Personal Statements
- Your Career to date
- Your Key Skills and Strength
- Your Ambitions
- The benefits that you can bring to the company
Points to note
- Maximum 1 page
- Clear and direct message
- Do not copy the content from your resume
- Ensure your contact methods are valid
- Be professional – cross-check the grammar and choice of words before submission
Below is a reference format to be used when writing a covering letter.
Company Contacts (Full name if known)
Dear Sir or Madam: Or Dear Mr or Mrs Surname,
- Paragraph 1 – Introduce yourself and Reasons for applying
- Paragraph 2 – Experience you gain from other positions (Remarkable Examples)
- Paragraph 3 – Skills you can bring and How you can benefit the company
- Paragraph 4 – What you understand and like about the company
- Paragraph 5 – Your ambition
- Paragraph 6 – End of letter
Yours sincerely (If you added their name) /
Yours faithfully (If you addressed it to Sir or Madam)
Your Full Name